EFFECTIVE DATE: 05/23/2016
Welcome to SummitSync. We are a professional networking mobile Application (“App”) that helps professionals connect with each other at events. When professionals make a mutual connection, we will provide an in-app message to facilitate scheduling a time for the parties to meet.
By using or downloading the App, you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this Policy. Your use of the App, and any dispute over privacy, is subject to this Policy and our Terms of Service, including its applicable limitations on damages and the resolution of disputes. Our Terms of Service are incorporated by reference into this Policy.
Table of Contents
What Information Do We Collect About You?
Information We Collect Directly From You. The type of information that we collect from you depends on your interaction with your App. You must register to use our App. To register, we will require you to provide your mobile phone number. When we receive your mobile number, with your permission, we will send you a text message confirming your phone number. Once you confirm your mobile phone number, you can choose which social networks you would like to link to your account, such as LinkedIn or Facebook, to populate your profile. This could include your name, job title, location, email address, and the name of your employer. See below for information we collect from your social media accounts.
We also will request information about the conferences and other networking events that you attend. You have the option to enhance your profile by adding additional information such as your date of birth, demographic information, such as your age and gender, or information from other social networks. We also collect information, such as your contact information and any other information that you choose to submit, when you contact us for customer services purposes or otherwise interact with our App. With your permission, we may also access your mobile device’s contact list.
Information We Collect From Third Parties. We may collect information about you from third parties, such as companies and groups that organize conferences and events. We may collect your event registration information from these event organizers, which may include your [name, job title, employer name, address, email address, work history, education history, other professionals and organization you may be connected to or affiliated with].
Information that We Collect About You from Additional Social Networking Sites
With your permission, we may also access information from other social network accounts, including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Meetup, or Eventbrite. If you do this, we obtain information from these sites as follows:
LinkedIn. If you provide us access to your LinkedIn account, you must enter your LinkedIn email address and password. By providing us with access to your LinkedIn account, you are granting us access to your profile information and connections.
Facebook. If you provide us access to your Facebook account, you must enter your Facebook email address and password. We will ask that you grant us permission to: (i) access and collect your Facebook basic information (this includes your name, profile picture, gender, networks, user IDs, list of friends, date of birth, email address, job title, your “likes” and any other information you have set to public on your Facebook account); (ii) provide you with material to post to your Wall; and (iii) access your Facebook data at any time even if you are not using Facebook. If you allow us to have access to this information, then we will have access to this information even if you have chosen not to make that information public.
Twitter. If you provide us access to your Twitter account, you must enter your Twitter email address or username and password. By logging in through Twitter, you are granting us access to see whom you follow and who follows you.
Meetup. If you provide us access to your Meetup account, you must enter your Meetup email address and password. By logging in through Meetup, you are granting us access to the events that you have attended or will be attending.
Eventbrite. If you provide us access to your Eventbrite account, you must enter your Eventbrite email address and password. By logging in through Eventbrite, you are granting us access to the events that you have attended or will be attending.
We store the information that we receive from social networking sites with other information that we collect from you or receive about you.
Any third-party social networking site controls the information it collects from you. For information about how they may use and disclose your information, including any information you make public, please consult their respective privacy policies. We have no control over how any third party site uses or discloses the personal information it collects about you.
Information We Collect Automatically
We collect information from your device automatically; we may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal information.
- Your Location Information. With your permission, we will collect your mobile device’s location information in order to suggest events in your area or to provide directions to the event you are attending. You may turn off this function through the location settings on your mobile device.
- Identify When Your App is in Use. We may also use your mobile device’s Bluetooth capabilities to recognize when you are using the App near other App users. We use this information to ask you if you are attending a particular event so that you can connect with other users. You may opt-out of this feature by turning off your mobile device’s Bluetooth capabilities.
- Other Information. • In addition to collecting your geolocation information, we also will collect the following information about your use of our App through tracking technologies designed for use on a mobile App: mobile device ID; your IP address, language information; device name and model; operating system type, name, and version; your activities within the App; and the length of time that you are logged into our App.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
- To connect you with other conference and event attendees and allow you to contact them through the App. We will let other attendees know you are attending an event by displaying your photo and profile. You can use this information to decide if you are interested in meeting other attendees by swiping right (interested) or left (not interested). We will let you know if there is a mutual interest in connecting so you can send messages to the other interested user.
- To help identify conferences and events you are attending.
- To help event organizers, event sponsors, and select third parties identify the event registrants who attend the event.
- To provide our services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our services, to respond to your inquiries, and for other customer service purposes.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the App.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We may also use information about the conferences and events you are attending to display in-app advertisements or send you push notifications. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our services on third party websites.
- To recommend events in your area or that we or our partners believe may be of interest to you.
- To better understand how users access and use the App, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our App and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes, including research surveys.
- If you have granted us permission, to post to your LinkedIn activity feed, Facebook Wall, Twitter Timeline, Meetup Group or Meetup Everywhere, or Eventbrite event page.
How We Share Your Information
We may share your information, including personal information, as follows:
- SummitSync Users. Your name and any information that you post to the App, including, without limitation, your profile and photo will be available to, and searchable by, users of the App. When you select an event that you are attending, other attendees will have access to your photo and profile to decide whether or not they are interested in connecting with you. If there is a mutual interest in connecting, we will notify you and you may send messages to each other.
- Conference and Event Organizers. We may disclose information with conference and event organizers about how their event attendees utilized the App. For example, we may share aggregate information about how many swipes there were for their event, how many connections were made, or the total number of messages sent during their event. Or, if an even organizer has shared event registration information with us, we may share with the organizer information such as the names, profiles, and connections of our users who attended the event and information about how those users used the App.
- Conference and Event Corporate Sponsors and Select Third Parties. From time to time, we obtain leads of potential conference attendees from corporate sponsors and other select third parties. We may inform such corporate sponsor or other third party which conferences persons on their particular lead lists attended. We may also share information such as the profiles and connections of our users who attended the event and information about how those users used the App.
- Affiliates. We may disclose the information we collect from you to our affiliates or subsidiaries; however, if we do so, their use and disclosure of your personally identifiable information will be subject to this Policy.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf.
We also may share your information in the following circumstances:
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company. In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
Clear GIFs, Pixel Tags and Other Technologies
Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We and our third party service providers may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our website to, among other things, track the activities of website visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about website usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML e-mails to our customers, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our e-mails are forwarded.
Mobile App Analytics
We use mobile device IDs to evaluate usage of the App. We also may use third party automated devices for analytic purposes to evaluate our App. We use these tools to help us improve the App, performance, and user experiences. These third party analytics service providers may use tracking technologies to perform their services. Among other service providers, we use TUNE for analytics purposes. To opt-out of the collection of your information through TUNE, please go to: http://www.optoutmobile.com/optout/index.html.
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests.
Our App may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, device, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Access To My Personal Information
You may modify personal information that you have submitted by logging into your account and updating your profile information in our App. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived areas of the App for a period of time.
What Choices Do I Have Regarding Use of My Personal Information?
You may opt-out of promotional emails by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you e-mails about your account or any services you have requested or received from us.
Children Under 13
Our App is not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
Special Information for California Consumers
California residents may request a list of certain third parties to which we have disclosed personally identifiable information about you for their own direct marketing purposes. You may make one request per calendar year. In your request, please attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for your response. You may request this information in writing by contacting us at: email@example.com. Please allow up to thirty (30) days for a response.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our services or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on the App. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on the App.